[lbo-talk] not theory

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 30 10:42:55 PST 2012

I weary of theory in the abstract as a topic. The nation is bubbling with concrete ideas as to building the present movement, and discussing them is I think of greater immediate importance. But if you do want to discuss theory you have to be prepared to theorize theory, to ask where it comes from, its relations to thinking embodied in ongoing practice. There are other kinds of thinking, crucial and difficult kinds of thinking, that are not theoretical, that is firmly grounded in ongoing practice, tries to make sense of that practice and at least tentatively generalize it.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Carrol Cox Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 12:26 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] not theory

Miles Jackson:

On 1/30/2012 6:55 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Or, as the Gang of Four put it in "Why Theory?," "What we think changes
how we act."

I love that song, but I always want to say: It works the other way around too!

(Thinking & Theory are not the same incidentally.)

And the ultimate question (carrying us both away from and back to political practice) is Where do those ideas come from? Do they drop from the sky?

Carrol