[lbo-talk] Oakland occupy, first hand account

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Jan 30 20:39:29 PST 2012

Thanks for posting this account. Sounds like a typical day in yore. The tactic of going mobil by the cops was used when they were caught off guard. They used tan four door Plymouths with six guys in full gear. They were so heavy they were resting on the rear springs which made their ability to drive difficult so the loaded sedans swirved a lot. They would try to cut off the moving crowds in downtown Berkeley's narrow side streets, bail out of a couple of sedans and start a running battle. This was very scary action because you could get trapped and beaten badly. I was really lucky to see these actions but not get my ass kicked or arrested. So I understand the reported observer's descriptions. They ring a deep truth. Yes there is humiliation. Yes I wanted a battle, but my common sense and cowardice told me, get the fuck out. I admired the guys that stayed to fight and risk everything to the last moment to escape.

I know nobody wants to be labeled violent. But, just look at where the maximum violence comes from---the cops, the system of repression, the damned mayor's office, the rich bourgeosie who live in overpriced condos in high rent downtown tony O-town, and of course the developers, banks, credit business agencies. The latter are the elite power of Oakland, just like everywhere else.

The cops are trained to motivate and drive their internal violent behavior, channel it into a set of ritalistic maneuvers. This is the deep training used by the military to train soldiers to kill without asking questions or have doubts. The first step is to de-humanize the `enemy.' The enemy has no human worth. They are potato bugs, disgusting things to be crushed with some heavy object. There is the comradarie of killing, the club of killing, the mystique of killing. But there arises a profound disgust with killing, which is afterall a sickening thing to do. It builds up over time with the numbers of those killed to the point of nausea, well until you wish somebody would kill you.

I saw this in my climbing partner, because he killed animals in a research pharma lab as part of quality control, i.e. his job. He killed all sorts of animals: frogs, mice, rats, rabbits, cats, dogs, and primates in moderate quantities. It disturbed him in a deep psychic way that left him sleepless, depressed, angry, and potentially violent, a disgusting person. He also became addicted to various pain killers. Knowing him gave Hinduism a big boost---he violated the great unity of Being---a kind of unforgiveable treason.

The essence of nazism is this death cult, this blood cult of mass death. War is this cult and we can see the results in the vets of Iraq and Afghanistan, the destruction of human souls in the living. You can also see its effects on two reporters, Robert Fisk and Chris Hedges. You can smell the death on them, in their dark view of human nature and in their writings. They have seen so much of this destruction, that they have fallen into the abyss of death.

CG