[lbo-talk] Some thoughts on BTN

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 21:10:10 PDT 2012

i haven't heard this week's episode either, and haven't heard what it's on, but as I mentioned last week, I've been reading a book about this by a previous guest, Catherine Liu. She draws heavily on Hofstader's critique and elaborates a fairly complex matrix of elements that seem to be associated with a particularly virulent kind of anti-intellectualism in the United States. I use virulent here intentionally because the way she tracks it is almost like an epidemiologist would, watching a plague work its way through various sectors of the society over time. I wouldn't say she ever quite articulates a coherent, single statement that sums up what this anti-intellectual strain is, and it is true that she doesn't provide a third order production of it in a theoretical dimension. But she draws significantly on works by Adorno - first his Authoritarian Personality, which he was only co-author, and then several of his and Benjamin's essays that are at least tangentially related to the topic. I don't have the book in front of me and am deep in the final chapters, trying to finish it in between other obligations; otherwise, I might try to find some pointed examples.

It is sloppy in some places, polemical in many and occasionally slips into tangent recesses that seem only dimly lit by the same flame. but overall, it gives a glaring picture of some of the most elemental features of anti-intellectualism qua anti-elitism. The latter is probably the most obvious features of our own preoccupations and political frameworks today: e.g. the Eggheads Rush Limbaugh calls out. As with most of the characteristics she mentions, it is easist to see in relation to a binary: anti-elitism is a kind of populism. This populism infuses education by supposedly making it a meritocracy, largely through the magic of testing, which was meant to be more objective than elitist notions of culture and privilege. But as we could predict, once it is adopted as a technology of assessment, testing is effectively rigged to reward those same notions in similar proportion using a differnent, supposedly more liberal and scientific method. I can't do justice to her argument here as there are many supporting pieces of evidence here, such as the discourse of the people inventing and deploying the tests in their pseudoscientific fashion.

In any case, she provides an updated vision of this idea which both employs and goes beyond other dichotomies - like rural vs. urban, theory vs. experience, etc. - that are far more familiar as guideposts in the discussion of this idea. In places, there are noisy parts, which don't really fit into the point she is making, but are certainly on the hazy outskirts of the abstraction she's trying to build. I don't know if she's planning a follow up, but it would likely be a place for her to go one further step in providing a more theoretical approach to the concept.

Right now my feeling is that, as interesting as it is, she is missing a huge piece of this puzzle. As I said last week, (and apologies for missing much of the discourse on the list during the week - my time is now very limited and I can only rarely scrape some time for interaction) her argument will probably find some sympathy on this list as one of her arguments is that there was a flimsy sort of "activistism" to much of the Left (sic) which was infused by a contention that experts were too powerful in post war society, all knowledge should be questioned, and there is a limit that should be placed on the power of intellectuals. Her argument is that this led, if through a circuitous route, to the thorough absence of intellectual power in early 21st century society, a populist celebration of ignorance, an education system that produces it and reproduces it on a grand scale and so to the mandarins who are now running the show.

On the one hand what she seems to miss are the very intellectual jargon in which most of this discussion took place - so much so that it would find completely foreign the conversations we've had on this list about the use of jargon and theory in general, i.e. that its a snooty thing for leftists to do if they want to inspire the masses to revolt, even though many of those on the left have done it almost since the beginning, e.g. Marx, etc. In her account, these two sides are uncomfortably pasted into one, as if there is no tension between them. THis is largely because the field she draws upon to make this point - Cultural Studies - has had these two tensions alive in its work since it was established as a field at Birmingham. On one side there was the more experience, anti-jargon, almost anti-intellectual, but certainly populist in a more direct way, often employing ethnographic methods, but even histories such as Thompson's Making of the English Working class is proudly untheoretical - long before Thompson wrote his screed against the other side, represented for him by the high structuralist theory of Althusser. In any case, there is something of a moving target on this front (again justifying Comrade Cox's insistence that the article "the" not precede the noun/adjective "Left.")

Again, I'm getting to the end, and this final chapter on Cultral Studies promises to be illuminating in the positions she's staked out, but this seems a reasonable assessment so far.

More problematically, I am sort of stunned by her leaving to one side the rather swift business the right made of setting up their own "counter establishment." This seems to be one of the crucial features of the 1960s onward, one charted by many intellectual historians. Now maybe it is true that some of this "counter establishment" is or has become less intellectual in its diction or jargon, but they are no less powerful than that class as it was in the 19th century. I.e. The Heritage foundation, paid for with bloody capitalist lucre, is one of the premier authorities on capital hill. Add to them the AEI, Cato, the folks at George Mason and all the other right wing fanatics that find such welcome homes in the houses of power they denounce as illegitimate. Their rise might owe something to the lack of a confident, vociferous, monologue from the Left, but it was also a calculated effort to redefine what intellectuals were meant to do - the answer being that they are supposed to serve the interests of power.

In any case, I agree that the terms should be clearly defined, but I also think it is worth having a general conversation about something that appears to exist in order to create a clearer image - rather than denouncing anyone for using the term unless they've written or can cite the appropriate dissertation written on it. This is, after all, a list serve where the purpose is discussion not publication

Now I'll have to go read Chuck's question closer...

Now I'Now I