[lbo-talk] Some thoughts on BTN

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jul 23 02:55:54 PDT 2012

thank you. That was excellent Sean. On the topic of anti-intellectualism, a study of the phenom in France and the US by Michele Lamont, _Money, Morals, and Manners_, is pretty good. I haven't read since I taught it for a course on Sociology of Culture, maybe 14 years ago but it details the anti-intellectualism that exists in France, generally outside of Paris, and generally tends to associate it with business culture in France. In both the US and France, it's a kind of intra-class warfare IIRC.

The interesting thing about Carrol's comment that anti-intellectualism is a belief that truth comes from experience is that wouldn't that be a way to describe the empiricism embraced by Enlightenment (and what is, in sociology, a source of the tension Sean is hinting at in Cultural Studies: an opposition to theory and an insistence on only ever engaging in hands-on research. It was alive and well in my department and I was caught in the middle of it as the empiricists pushed out the Grand Theoreticisns who'd dominated the department for decades.)