[lbo-talk] :Re: Is Lack of Worker Skills Responsible for High Unemployment?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jun 5 17:14:21 PDT 2012

you know, in my life, I've seen exactly once when this actually happened. Out of several dozen positions.

the reason why the speculation is likely inaccurate is that companies run on budgets. you don't just get to put an position announcement out there -- which costs a pretty penny once you run it through all the online job boards -- on a whim. in order to get an open line you have go through channels to get it approved in which you must justify the new line. then, you usually have a deadline of, say, 4-6 months in which to fill it. if you don't fill you, you can often find yourself having the position taken away on accounta the fact that the bean counters figure you got along so far without the position being filled, you can continue to do so.

seriously, the real issue is usually that people who are hiring who know what the job requires are often too busy and unskilled at the practice to write up a proper job description. it then falls to someone further removed, someone who then doesn't have clue but knows the right keywords.

additionally, when they don't know, they often kitchen sink: they come up with all the requirements they'd like to have and throw it all in there, to see what's out there. once in a while that person turns up. most of the time, they don't. then you go back to the drawing board and rework the job description. by that time, though, if you don't watch out, you'll have lost your line.

as for equal opp, i get the impression that equal opp concerns aren't taken seriously outside of .edu and .gov jobs. that could just be the fact that my experience is with small companies or with large companies that aren't publicly traded. *shrug*