[lbo-talk] me on Wisc

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 14:23:14 PDT 2012

Dennis C: "This ain't necessarily so. There's broad support for the main social welfare programs. "

[WS:] That is the biggest paradox of the American political consciousness, no? take the government dole and bitch about the hand that feeds you. I've seen many times.

Another point. SS is not understood as public welfare program. It is defined as contributory social insurance - almost like private insurance but administered by the gov - and it was promoted as such from the beginning. Skocpol makes that point explicit in her book on US social policy in a historical perspective.

You may hear support for social welfare in some liberal circles, but beyond that it is general hostility.

As to Doug's point about unions - there is plenty to criticize there to be sure, but there is no reason for going ballistic. It is like someone supporting Hitler because one has beef with bankers, many of whom happen to be Jewish. I am generally in agreement with your criticism of unions, but I do not cross picket lines and do not vote Repug - and I am not even a union member.

-- Wojtek