[lbo-talk] Long Stiglitz talk

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed Jun 6 14:27:45 PDT 2012

It's almost two hours long, but it is very comprehensive. The last forty or so minutes concentrates on what to do. The questions are good too. It's a professional audience of grad students, economists, and a few bankers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOxCMc9-1Cc&feature=related

The basic point is that the current crisis is only part due to the financial sector. The main crisis under money distribution, is the shift from manufacture to service So if the service sectors are supported with government investment particular in green energy, building differently, etc. that will pull us out. Conversely, if `we' just regulate without the second part (which translates to retrain for different jobs), we won't get much.

Most of the talk concentrates on the failure of economic models and why they fail.

CG