[lbo-talk] Query re Marx quote

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Thu Jun 7 14:19:03 PDT 2012

Message: 11 Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 12:29:37 -0700 (PDT) From: ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> Subject: [lbo-talk] Query re Marx quote To: lbo talk <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Cc: pen-l <pen-l at lists.csuchico.edu> Message-ID:

<1339097377.47693.YahooMailNeo at web111513.mail.gq1.yahoo.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Ken:

My dissertation adviser, Allen Wood, wrote an article that probably quotes or cites or discusses the passage you're remembering: *Allen W. Wood, 'Marx and Equality' in Issues in Marxist Philosophy IV; John Mepham and David-Hillel Ruben (eds.). * * *I would dig out that book, but we just moved offices and it's buried somewhere. The Critique of the Gotha Program also makes the point you make about distribution according to need.

--Chris

?Somewhere, perhaps in the Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts Marx says
> something to the effect that under capitalism even if there were equal
> distribution of income that the worker would still be in effect a slave. I
> just cannot find the relevant quote. Does anyone recall the passage? I
> thought it was interesting since it shows that the idea of an equal
> distribution of income has nothing really do with communism as understood
> by Marx. It makes little sense anyway since to distribute according to
> needs would surely involve unequal? distribution.of income.
>
> Cheers, ken
>
> ?
> Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html
> Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html

-- -- Chris Sturr Co-editor, *Dollars & Sense* One Milk Street Boston, Mass. 02109 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205 *Note: We just moved offices; phone contact will be spotty for about a week. * fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org