[lbo-talk] Boston Consulting Group in Philly - new documents

SK seth235 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 21:02:11 PDT 2012

This looks to be a pretty major story with new documentation about the role of the Boston Consulting Group in Philly.

http://thenotebook.org/blog/124923/bcg-documents-show-far-reaching-proposal-overhaul-district

ugh:

In April, Knudsen and members of the SRC unveiled a “transformation blueprint” calling for the closure of 64 schools over five years, a dramatic expansion of charters, and largely replacing the District’s central office with autonomous, independently managed “achievement networks.”

BCG clearly played a heavy role in developing that “blueprint,” but the presentation makes no mention of the consultants’ role.

Neither the District nor the SRC made public any documentation of BCG’s recommendations or work relating to the controversial $2.5 billion operating budget for 2012-13, adopted last week at a raucous SRC meeting.

The lack of public disclosure may be the result of a stipulation in BCG’s contract requiring the District to obtain prior BCG approval before sharing any of the consultants’ work products with anyone other than District staff and selected representatives from the City of Philadelphia, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania, and the William Penn Foundation.

“That was a legal requirement on their part. It was negotiated,” said Knudsen.

In an attachment to their proposal, BCG cites three reasons for the restrictive intellectual property terms. They include the possibility that public disclosure “could constrain how we work with you, impeding the success of our work together” and that BCG hopes to “avoid the misunderstandings that may arise if our advice is shared with third parties, who may not appreciate the scope or other relevant details of a project.”