[lbo-talk] A Glimpse into the Fate of Ph.D's currently

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Mon Jun 11 17:03:40 PDT 2012

Carrol asks about strike votes. A union probably won't call a strike vote unless it is pretty sure of a very high positive vote. Still, the 90% vote in Chicago is impressive. Now the key will be strike preparation, which sounds like it is proceeding as it should. As to the Arkansas job, what a ruse, calling it a visiting assistant professor. This has been going on for a long time now, right? I was hired in 1969 as an Instructor. We had to do four course each sememster, but because pay was so low, the dean would divide classes with large enrollments into two and pay an overload for teaching five classes. However, the overload rate was for much less than your yearly salary divided by 8. We actually had assistant instructors, invariably women. We began the first of many failed union drives by doing a salary survey. Discrimination against women was startling, and women became strong union supporters.