[lbo-talk] A Glimpse into the Fate of Ph,D's currently

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jun 12 03:39:18 PDT 2012

yeah, believe me, i did it. i worked four gigs a semester, sometimes five, and for one stretch drove 240 miles between one college to the next to do my job. if I were to do it over again, I'd say: Stand at the top of the stairs, hurl the papers, assign grades according to the way they land.

Hyperbole for Jane Tompkins' Pedagogy of the Distressed article where she argues that you have to save your ass and not invest so much fucking time in teaching if you're an adjunct.

I was fortunate to encounter people who taught us how to alleviate some of the grading stress, partly by just not assigning so many fucking papers: hard to do when you're teaching comp, but these guys did it. wonder if the english and textual studies department still runs these workshops? invaluable.