[lbo-talk] A Glimpse into the Fate of Ph.D's currently

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 06:03:53 PDT 2012

Michael S: "I'm proud to say that I gave every of 'em an 'A', except the ones who really annoyed me. Them, I flunked."

[WS] You could not do it at Walmart, could you? They would sack you in no time if you tried to do something your boss did not want. And another thing - when you work at Walmart you have to stand the whole time, when you teach even as an adjunct, you can sit down. It makes a big difference. BTW, I could never understood the idiotic insistence of US retail bosses that their cashiers have to stand. They sit in any other country I've been to.

> WS, have you actually done that adjunct gig?

[WS:] Yes, for a few years, but I also had a day job most of the time.

Some of that was at a community college, some of it at a teaching uni. The community college was harder because of more class prep and because of a long commute (for which I was paid, btw). It was not that bad despite low pay - much better than retail/service jobs that I've had, but not as good as government jobs (some of which also required teaching.) And I did not flunk anybody nor, for that matter, accepted sex-for-grade offers.

If I were to choose a new job (which may happen soon as our funding is dwindling) this would be my order of preference: 1. A researcher at a research institution (my current position) 2. FT faculty at a community college 3. FT faculty at a university 4. FT government employee 5. Adjunct at #2 or #3 6. Independent consultant 7. Sell stuff on ebay 8. Unemployment/early retirement 9. Work in the private sector

-- Wojtek