[lbo-talk] Reuters: Egypt's Brotherhood declares its candidate president

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 12:36:56 PDT 2012

Joseph C: " real power remains with the army."

[WS:] This may not be such a bad thing, given the alternatives (e.g. a feudal Salafist fiefdom to the East, or a theocracy to the North).

I am not a big supporter of the military rule, to be sure, but such a rule makes a revolutionary change easier. As Trotsky (and later Gramsci) observed, when the army rules the state and you gain control of the army, you do not have to deal with those fortifications and trenches of the bourgeois social order aka civil society.

So the only thing that seems to be dead in Egypt is the promise of the Western-style bourgeois democracy (which is not exactly news) and the prospect of an Islamist theocracy. Not a big loss (in my opinion, at least), while the prospect for a revo is still open. That's better than in most of the Western countries.

-- Wojtek