[lbo-talk] Historical moment: the first full privatization of a U.S. public school district

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Jun 22 06:01:44 PDT 2012

The original for-profit model I wrote about entailed a company taking over existing public schools, with the same facilities and personnel (including teachers). Basically it replaced the management but left everything else. The deals entailed negotiating with unions. The Edison Project, one of the original operators, took pains to sweet talk the teachers unions with some success in the case of the NEA.

Charters referred to organizations or companies building new schools from scratch, possibly renting facilities formerly housing regular public schools. Typically they escaped oversight, were subject to less or no regulation, and were able to take advantage of using younger, lower paid teachers and other non-union personnel.