[lbo-talk] Historical moment: the first full privatization of a U.S. public school district

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sat Jun 23 06:50:06 PDT 2012

Charters can absolutely be for-profit. As others have said, it's up to the local authorities who they do a deal with. Some charters (like some home-schoolers) reflect a progressive-based rejection of the public school system, notably Deborah Meier in NYC. I had a buddy who decades ago worked in a progressive alternative school in the Ironbound district of Newark, NJ.

There are some tricky ways a non-profit front can mask a for-profit operation. A non-profit that nominally runs a school could contract out some services to for-profit outfits. Of course the principals of a nominal non-profit could pay themselves above market salaries, in effect harvesting profits as labor compensation.

The key source of gain as others have said is evading union labor standards by contracting out and maintaining a revolving door of young teachers, since the biggest share of cost in education is labor.

Undoubtedly there will always be a few charters that are great schools, but on average, which is what counts, there is no evidence of an advantage. EPI has published a lot of research on this.