[lbo-talk] Historical moment: the first full privatization of a U.S. public school district

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sun Jun 24 15:05:02 PDT 2012

There's an interesting analogy to this in today's NY Times, about the kids who work in Apple stores. I've said a key source of profit for privatized schools is the use of young teachers, not merely non-unionized but young.

In other words, teachers at the bottom of a pay scale who never climb up it.

Re: Apple, their pay does not compare well to some other retailers. They have an employment system that focuses on young 20-somethings, luring them in and burning them out. So they have an endless supply of cheap, relatively high-skilled labor.