[lbo-talk] Photographs of Workers

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Jun 26 17:55:47 PDT 2012

the photos were commissioned by the u.s. government, a hold over from the public works program (WPA? was it?), part of the u.s propaganda effort. There's an original Rosie the Riveter who was photographed. I'm familiar with these because I created some blog decisions for a labor guy many years ago. We were going to use the labor photography of Earl Dotter, sprinkling in some of the LoC photos because Earl's photos, while stunning, weren't always the right aspect ratio for a blog.

here's the original photo: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rosie_the_Riveter_(Vultee)_DS.jpg>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rosie_the_Riveter_(Vultee)_DS.jpg

the article at the library of congress was interesting: <http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/journey/rosie.html>http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/journey/rosie.html