[lbo-talk] The sharp, sudden decline of America's middle class

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:54:51 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:30 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> god does that elicit traumatizing flashbacks of the terror of being "in
> crisis", trying to get help, and being told that, with $5 in the bank, a car
> worth $3000, a kid and an apartment, you are eligible for nothing.

Oh yes. Been to that district of Hell myself. Except that I don't own a car or have a kid. It's impossible to explain to anyone who has always had a steady job. Or at least, it requires story-telling skills greater than my own.

The seething anxiety, always just out of sight. The wince you feel when other people start talking about their jobs. Being unable to explain any of this to family and friends. The humiliation and helplessness. The crushing feeling of constantly applying for jobs and getting nothing. And the rage, the infinite rage which turns inward, to fester and scar and boil away our dignity and humanity. The feeling of being the absolute worst loser in the universe, ever. The feeling that everything is broken. The Terror of Capital, its rule a five-hundred-year war on the entire planet, on all of us.

-- DRR