[lbo-talk] Critical Thinkign, was Free online courses

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 04:19:01 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The scientists repeatedly treated these forms of resistance [to GMOs] as arising
> from idiotic, anti-modern, hysterically romantic  foolishness... an
> utterly despicable and more intellectually and scientifically moribund
> practice than that of the resistors.

Perhaps you've dug into the matter more than I have, but this treatment of resistance seems to have sources much broader than any group of scientists (many of whom agree with much of the critique: http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_agriculture/science_and_impacts/impacts_genetic_engineering/ ).

One of my beefs with at least the popular face of science studies that I've encountered is that the tendency to use science as a club, often in a way that contradicts its own findings, is imbedded more in the larger culture than being specific to science or the culture of scientists.

-- Andy