[lbo-talk] Jargon in Science

Miles Jackson milesvjackson at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 12:34:41 PST 2012

On 3/1/2012 11:55 AM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> But in IT, a "pointer" is a variable whose value is an address, which has implications for how you are able to use it. And there's nothing in the word "pointer" as a common word that would suggest its specific IT use and implications.
>
> Joanna

By way of Wittgenstein, let me offer a working definition of "jargon": language used by those who inhabit a different culture (Lebensform) than I do. What is considered "jargon" and what is considered "substantive" is determined by the standpoint of the listener relative to the speakers, not by the content of the words themselves.

Miles