[lbo-talk] Jargon in Science

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Mar 1 17:26:50 PST 2012

On Mar 1, 2012, at 5:44 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> First let me say that I'm not claiming to be an expert in anything; but the issue you brought up has always interested me, so I'm interested in talking about it.
>
> I was originally saying that it feels to me like there's a diff between the technical terms of physics and those of the humanities. Then it seemed to me like medicine might be somewhere between those two cases.
>
> ...so that's all. All this would be speculation (in a good sense), not pronouncements from on high.
>
> So, if anyone feels like playing, great.

Oh definitely. I agree it’s an interesting issue. I just got confused by the thread fork into IT vs medical terms, since I figured they would both fall roughly into the “physics” side of the above soft dichotomy.

My own opinion is that in both cases, physics vs humanities, terminology is created and used for varying reasons not all of them above board. I also find it, at times, an attempt to capture language and thought, such as in the attempts of zealous types to jump up with the correction that a dolphin is not a fish (it’s mammal, in the middle of a non-technical conversation (mammal is a more or less technical term, but fish is not!).

—ravi