[lbo-talk] The Great Inequality

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun Mar 4 07:40:54 PST 2012

Perhaps Lew should revisit this essay. I might not have been as clear as I should have been, but I think it is clear enough that I argue that the capitalist mode of production is the cause of inequality. Which is why criticisms of Schutz's notions of what to do about inequality were made. Schutz argues as well that there is a complex edifice of power relationships that buttress the capitalist mode of production, and these need to be grasped along with the fundamental insights we can get from studying the basic capital-labor relationship. Might I suggest that Lew offer a critique of the essay and send it to Monthly Review. Send it to me at mikedjyates at msn.com, and I will get it to the editorial committee.