[lbo-talk] Our health insurance system - probably I'm screwed

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 17:29:28 PST 2012

My current individual health care plan is terminating. The provider is terminating all individual plants, so:

1) If I have to take the questionare I won't qualify for any other individual plant 2) I can't go through the Chamber of Commerce or most opportunties for membership group plans because they don't cover sole-proprietierships or freelancers in my state - require at least one employee in addition to the proprietor. 3) My income is too high to qualify for medicaid. 4) Basic health (A Washington State alternative for people not qualified for medicare) has waiting list of I think at least a year. 5) The premium for the high risk pool is more than my gross (before tax) income - and is awful coverage besides.

There are exceptions where one can be exempt from the questionaire. The questionaire the insurance companies normally use to determine if you are exempt say no, but I pulled up the actual law. A couple of the sections look like possibilities. So I'm going to try the insurance commissioners office to find out if they apply to my case, if they say no go to legal aid. But, you know I'm playing lawyer when I'm not one. So if the people who get paid to do law know it better than I do, which is probable, I'm just screwed and will shortly be a diabetic cancer survivor with no health insurance.

-- Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow Solving the Climate Crisis web page: SolvingTheClimateCrisis.com Grist Blog: http://grist.org/author/gar-lipow/ Online technical reference: http://www.nohairshirts.com