[lbo-talk] Confessions of a bad teacher

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:13:25 PST 2012

Chuck: " thinking back, it was probably the social tension itself that PK (problem kid) was reacting to. ."

[WS:] Yup. Not just PK, but most people. I used to work as a civilian instructor in an US Army facility and I was probably the only instructor in that facility who (a) was openly a pacifist and a leftie and (b) refused to use military-style discipline in the classroom. In fact, I would often go an extra mile to informally facilitate things for my students - anything from extra time on testing to arranging for a leave. My colleagues thought I was setting myself for a failure, but in reality my students stood for me when I got in trouble with the administration. It certainly was not because of (a) which they often derided. It was because of (b). As they say, one catches more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Wojtek