[lbo-talk] Confessions of a bad teacher

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Mar 6 10:57:13 PST 2012

Her explanation is that all that
> these kids get in their lives is punishment, so they are used to it,
> but positive engagement is something new and they typically respond to
> it. This may be true, but it also takes a special kind of personality
> to implement this strategy - I do not think most people can respond
> this way, most have a fight or flight reaction.
>
> Wojtek

Interesting. I can see now, looking back that time alone with me with my two charges was a reward. I liked going outside and sitting some place quiet. The class problem kid, just relaxed by getting out of the room.

One morning the master teacher was late, so my worst nightmare was on stage. I had to open class, open a vague lesson plan, and start interacting directly with this motely group. Somehow I managed for about an hour without major problems... I really felt the full pressure of trying to cohere a class.

Anyway, thinking back, it was probably the social tension itself that PK (problem kid) was reacting to. ..

CG