[lbo-talk] Confessions of a bad teacher

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 10:26:49 PST 2012

Chuck: "There was still discipline, but of a passive sort"

[WS:] What my wife does is talking to them and trying to persuade them to change their behavior instead of threatening them with discipline, and she disregards what can be considered verbal abuse. In reality, this is not an actual abuse but the "normal" way these kids talk to each other, but many teachers perceive it as abuse - which would be if, say, I used a similar language. She also uses an informal reward system (usually snacks.) The very fact that she does not go on a power trip with these kids coupled with a small reward has a greater effect on their behavior than all the disciplinary sanctions at the disposal of school administration. Her explanation is that all that these kids get in their lives is punishment, so they are used to it, but positive engagement is something new and they typically respond to it. This may be true, but it also takes a special kind of personality to implement this strategy - I do not think most people can respond this way, most have a fight or flight reaction.

Wojtek