[lbo-talk] Confessions of a bad teacher

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:34:05 PST 2012

Michael S: "Teachers from what I have seen are a mixed bag ranging from wonderful to horrible; the best are frightfully hobbled by the institutions in which they work, and the worst enabled to indulge their most base impulses."

[WS:] This is what I hear from my wife too. But I am reasonably certain that this is true for most occupations - lawyers, doctors, software engineers, airline pilots, even sociologists. Yet, we do not witness what seems like orchestrated campaigns to go after these occupations. Hence my reaction to education 'reforms' spearheaded by the political and business classes.

I personally had both very good and very bad teachers, but it did not matter that much. At one period I did very poorly in school despite good teachers (some of whom really tried hard to save my ass) and at another period I did reasonably well despite bad teachers (who wanted to punish my contumacy) - the fact what did make a difference was a (forced) change in my social environment (http://wsokol.blogspot.com/2012/01/edumacation-in-amerika.html )

I any case, I appreciate the clarification of your position on the issue. I do not think it is much different from mine.

Wojtek