[lbo-talk] Confessions of a bad teacher

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Mar 6 11:05:53 PST 2012

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 13:52:02 -0500 Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael S: "Quite right. If I had, I would probably be more sympathetic
> to the institutions' usual blame-the-victim self-exculpation."
>
> [WS:] My problem with this reasoning is that it is akin to blaming
> bank tellers or low level managers for the usurious practices of banks
> and home loans defaults, or screaming at a flight attendant for an
> overbooked flight.

Not my intent; the 'teaching disabilities' I had in mind were the institutions', not the teachers'. Teachers from what I have seen are a mixed bag ranging from wonderful to horrible; the best are frightfully hobbled by the institutions in which they work, and the worst enabled to indulge their most base impulses.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org