[lbo-talk] Fwd: Noam goes with Barry ?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 11 13:13:08 PDT 2012

I'm afraid Chomsky is slipping into "Crackpot Realism." The number of people in the U.S. who, like Chomsky, dislike Obama "from the left" is so small that they their position on the election cannot possibly affect it. They are simply irrelevant when they take a position (either for or against Obama) on the election. (Yes, I know I have slipped into this role in the past.) Their actions in _non-electoral_ politics may or may not ultimately be of significance but such activity can, in principle, make a diffeence. It is not even theoretically possible that their electoral participation will make a difference, in either the short or long run. Chomsky (or any or all other) leftists could campaign actively for the GOP and still be unable to make an electoral difference. There is no conceivable way in which "leftists" can make an electoral difference. There are not enough of us to give any substance to a boycott of the election either. There s no way, no way whatsoever, that we can become a significant factor in the election.

Put another way, in the context of the2112 presidential election, Marvin Gandall & Carrol Cox are both equally sectarian and equally irrelevant.

(It may, just possibly, be different in some _local_ electoral contests; I don't know.)

Carrol

Third Post for Today