[lbo-talk] How long can the Lesser Evil Stay in Power?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue Mar 13 20:15:21 PDT 2012

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:50:47 -0500 "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Barring a radical change of some sort the triumph at some point
> in the not-too-distant future of a Palin (or worse) seems quite inevitable.
> How does giving your thought, time, & energy to electoral politics serve to
> prevent (and not merely postpone) The Greater Evil?

This is well observed but I would go farther. Signing on to the lesser evil effectually encourages it to get closer to the greater evil, and that in turn encourages the greater evil to become greater still. It's a *process*, that develops over time, not a prix-fixe menu of more or less unpalatable entrees in some dismal poorly-lit restaurant, with a TV endlessly playing CNN at high volume.

This is what even as bright a guy as Noam Chomsky seems to miss, somehow. Curious.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org