[lbo-talk] Why is Obama never identified as a mulatto?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:57:39 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:52 AM, ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:
>    Obama is in fact a mulatto. I have never seen him identified as such. If race comes up at all Obama gets classified as African-American. Is there a stigma to being mulatto or what. He is never called a Caucasian American even though that seems as appropriate as African American.
>
> Cheers, ken

He was clear about this when he ran in 2008 and was challenged by parents with biracial kids about his failure to self-identify that way. Obama calls himself Black/African-American because when he tried to self-identify as bi-racial it confused white people no end and the conversation turned to that instead of his policies. When he self-identified as B/A-A white people in politics generally let the issue go.

Alan