[lbo-talk] On "whiteness"

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:05:26 PDT 2012

I've been struck by the number of media referring to George Zimmerman, the alleged murder of Trayvvon Martin, as "white" ( http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/19/trayvon-martins-murder-was-the-motive-self-defense-or-racism), apparently based on police reports, while his family identifies him as Hispanic (and he's clearly something non-WASP-y) ( http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hXxBkmvHRtNjf7eHr97r29fiIVrw?docId=458cd0d9fa994f69a0bf1239b8eada3a ).

Any early thoughts on this? Is it indicative of journalists writing their stories to fit within predetermined narratives? Are they just relying on the determinations of police, who would, as I recall the federal categories, classify any non-African-descended Hispanic person as "white"? (One wonders, though, how often that would affect the coverage of anyone else accused of a crime!) Or is it a sign that upper-crust Florida Hispanics have fully joined the club (enough to get away with killing Black people, no less)?