[lbo-talk] On "whiteness"

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 04:56:00 PDT 2012

Joseph: "Are they just relying on the determinations of police, who would, as I recall the federal categories, classify any non-African-descended Hispanic person as "white"?"

[WS:] This seems standard journalist practice, no? As to Zommerman getting of the hook, this has something to do with his apparent links to law enforcement community rather than being of any particular ethnicity. I know of several instances of people getting away with things (anything from car accidents to drug dealing) because of their connections to law enforcement (e.g. someone in the family is a cop or a former cop, or knows a cop). People without such connections would almost certainly be busted. Do not forget the "twinkie defense" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie_defense. If you are cop you are not only presumed to be telling the truth and nothing but the truth, but also innocent beyond any reasonable proof.

Wojtek