[lbo-talk] On "whiteness"

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Mar 20 14:07:18 PDT 2012

as for how the Sizzlean do it, it's probably still the case, but you should check: cops assign the race, last I knew. that is why there's a report (google it, i guess) detailing the difference between the way a cop report a crime versus the victim (national victims of vionence survey is the name of it, I think). in this report that comes to mind, victims of rape ID'd the assailant as white more frequently than cops IDd the assailant as white. I think I probably typed this up for this list once, so it's probably in the archives.

as for the issue, I hadn't noticed anyone saying he was white to begin with so, at least for me, when I hear this on radio or tv news (hear b/c I really have my eyes on the screen) he's not been IDd as Latino or White. as such, I suspect that, as with racism in general, the typical USer will hear no descriptor and assume white as the default.