[lbo-talk] Obama Speaks Out on Trayvon Martin Killing

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 16:31:42 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 12:54 AM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

We agree on prisons -- but I think what people are calling for is some kind
> of just accounting for the mindless murder of Trayvon.

I'm actually not all the way over there with you. For lack of a better option, I don't oppose the imprisonment of people who pose direct, ongoing physical threats to others. I'm sort of cautiously in the "arrest Zimmerman" mob because he might be one of those - but moving forward, I'm open to being proven wrong on that count.

Now as far as a "just accounting" goes, I don't know what the bourgeois courts could have to do with it. They exist for one purpose: to secure capitalist rule. They may, and often do, provide side benefits in terms of public safety (almost by accident, I think). For moral clarity, though, I think we'd all be advised to look elsewhere.