[lbo-talk] On Occupy in Chicago

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 12:45:44 PDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

Joseph seems most interested in maintainng a position in the bleachers

And I'm particularly interested maintaining that position during weeks like this one, when my bleachers aren't being bombed!

> from
> which he can make abstract moral (sneering at the alleged 'aristocracy of
> labor') and/or intellectual judgments of the hurly-burly below.

But I'll confess, I sometimes dream of banishing my fears, shedding my inhibitions, and mixing it up with grumpy retired English professors and the assorted other hurly-burly.

("[H]urly-burly"? I must not make ageist jokes ... I must not make ageist jokes ...)

> In most areas the same people are (a) trying to build for solidarity with
> the Palestinians and (b) building demos demanding justice for Trayvon. Do
> you want intellectual consistency or a movement for a Free Palestine. I'm
> afraid you can't have both.

If you'd bother reading other peoples posts, you'd understand why *I* can with no problems. And, more broadly, *anyone* can with a little creative friction.

Your understanding of issue politics is rather infantile. People who disagree about X do, in fact, work together on Y *all the time.* And on the issue of Palestine, where political Islam and the secular left meet, there's considerably more room for constructive tension than a single murder in the State of Florida.

Of course, if you had ever been meaningfully involved in the struggle, you would know this already.