[lbo-talk] Bill Maher: 'The new racism is denying racism'

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 11:02:28 PDT 2012

123hop

Maybe it's time to retire the term, except in historical discourse. We're not in the 1920s or 1950s any more. We live -- us Amurricans, anyway; can't speak for the Krauts or the Frogs -- in a society which is, if not post-racial, at least post-racist. Nobody, but nobody, is willing to come out as a racist; a hundred years ago, nearly everybody would.

-----

Isn't racial profiling racist? Plenty of that going around.

Black people get much harsher sentences than white people. Isn't that racism?

Also segregation in the schools. It's as bad as in the Brown days. Isn't that racism?

Joanna

^^^^^^^ CB: Yes, and the terminology "post-racist" society is a very good example of the new racism: denying the continued existence of racism. People not "coming out" as racist, but still practicing racism is another very good example of racism in the new form: denial of racism