[lbo-talk] May Day Video

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue May 1 16:57:51 PDT 2012

DC MayDay was pretty laid back. About 400 people, mostly hippies, mostly young. I only hung around for a couple of hours. They were going to march after I left. Explicitly anarchist and worker-y rhetoric, the Haymarket martyrs, that sort of thing. There was a dance around a maypole, and no I was not among the dancers. Three guys in an animated argument on the park bench next to mine -- a black nationalist, a DC statehood guy, and a Christian (all African-American). It went from reform v. revolution to the Meaning of Life. Oddly the black nationalist had a '99%' t-shirt (shouldn't it have been the 15%?). Tables set up by the SWP, PLP, and DSA. The latter by a friend of mine who used to be in the Labor Party ("What the hell."). A speech by a transit worker (lady bus driver, in her uniform) that was a SWP-PLP wet dream -- totally radical rhetoric.

In general my feeling is the movement is still evolving, though DC is not much of a hotbed.