[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland reports and pics

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:17:09 PDT 2012

Jordan: "I think it's clear from looking at the difference between incarceration rates and victimization rates that the vast majority of violent criminals are not in jail."

[WS:] These do not have to add up. Victimization rates are based on a populations survey (NCVS) intended to capture victimizations not reported to the police. Since the perps of unreported crimes cannot be jailed for them, you would expect victimization rates to be higher than incarceration rates based on that fact alone.

There are other factors as well. Not all crimes reported to the police result in conviction. More importantly, multiple offenders can produce multiple victimizations but only a single incarceration.

However, I am with your general thrust that those in jail are there for a reason. My argument against incarceration is based on a different premise - that of rehabilitation in addition to retribution.

Retribution is important, and must necessarily be enforced to maintain the rule of law. However, incarceration is not the only way of exacting retribution, but it has negative impact on rehabilitation (i.e. it socializes inmates into criminal subculture.) Therefore, an alternative method of retribution, say community service, is generally more beneficial to society, except for dangerous offenders.

-- Wojtek

"Modern conservatism is just a neoliberal gloss on medieval domination."