[lbo-talk] Debt

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed May 2 17:33:40 PDT 2012

----- Original Message ----- Joanna: "Well, no. At some point he does say that Capitalism is the only system in which debts are never forgiven."

[WS:] I have not gotten to this point yet (I am a slow reader ;)) but if this is indeed what he claims, he is demonstrably wrong. Modern capitalism is the only system in which debt can be written off as in Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Been there done that. Under other systems, you had to sell you family or yourself to pay off debt - which is what Graeber does argue.

Yes, but this is understood to be so heinous, that debt jubilees are periodically instituted...for everyone....except under Capitalism.

Anyway. Keep reading. Pointless to argue until you've read the book.

Joanna