[lbo-talk] Debt

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed May 2 17:48:07 PDT 2012

Joanna writes:

> this is understood to be so heinous, that debt jubilees
> are periodically instituted...for everyone....except
> under Capitalism.

When you say "everyone ... except for Capitalism" -- what exactly are you talking about?

How many of these debt jubilee systems have their been in, oh, the last 1000 years even?

You make it sound like you're saying "every airline except United" -- like there's some large number of economic systems out there that both have the capability to allow people to amass large amounts of debt but also have the ability to jubilee it.

Just how many people were actual beneficiaries of jubilee in, say, world history?

I admit I only asked The Google, but I didn't see much in the way of long history of doing it that way until Capitalism showed up.

/jordan