[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

Alan P. Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:19:32 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On May 9, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Alan P. Rudy wrote:
>
> > Are any of the solutions likely to be doing anything about the everyday psychic pain people feel, pain they suppress with drugs and alcohol?
>
> That's all very nice, but shitheads are driving drunk and killing people now. A wonderful woman who worked at Verso got nailed by one just down the street a few months ago. Do we have to await a social revolution to do something about it?
>
> Doug

I, too, have had friends, friends' family and students die from or killed by drunk driving/drivers. There's no one here advocating drunk driving. I was clearly talking about whether or not any of the present prevention and deterrence efforts are likely to work well, much less likely to work in a way that fits any of our politics. The parallel is clearly the war on drugs, radically misconceived, massively expensive and quite a failure.

You very nicely didn't include the the few easily doable, wholly non-revolutionary, and remarkably cheap ways communities might take this on more effectively as a means of producing fewer tragedies… and save some of the social expenditures Eubulides properly cataloged. I have friends who've been working against the political and cultural grain - armed with remarkably good evidence - for exactly these things in OH and other states, I bet you do, too. They've been beaten back at every turn by people w/o evidence, only the kinds of moral critiques you so clearly attacked jn your interview on consumption a few weeks back.