[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed May 9 10:33:50 PDT 2012

Alan P. Rudy writes:

> I was clearly talking about whether or not any of the present
> prevention and deterrence efforts are likely to work well,
> much less likely to work in a way that fits any of our politics.

To the extent that this is not an 'experiment' per se, there has been a dramatic decrease in crashes (and thus injury/death) due to DUI in the past 20 years; in many places DUI has been replaced by driving-while-drowsy as the number one cause of accidents. Is that due to the efforts -- enforcement, education, awareness -- or something else? Who can say, authoritatively?

> The parallel is clearly the war on drugs, radically misconceived,
> massively expensive and quite a failure.

There's a pretty big "but" on that parallel: sales of alcohol are legal-and-regulated in ways that can help the above efforts, while illegal drugs continue to only benefit black markets and criminals. There are huge portions of the so-called war on drugs that simply aren't present in the let's-call-it war on DUI.

A parallel? Maybe not so much.

/jordan