[lbo-talk] Syriza fails to form coalition

Marv marvgand at gmail.com
Wed May 9 14:04:52 PDT 2012

I think Syriza understood none of the parties except the Democratic Left was going to join it in a coalition this time round. It believes it has momentum, and will increase its share of the popular vote in new elections, likely in June. Many observers agree. The party currently has an approx. 16% share of the vote to the conservative New Democracy's 18%. But the ND has many more seats due to the screwy electoral system which awards the lead party a 50 seat bonus. So a very small shift in the popular vote next month would hugely increase Syriza's standing in the Parliament, and would make it difficult for the Greek Communist Party (KKE) to remain outside and in opposition to a government of the Left. Let's hope things continue to move in this direction.