[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed May 9 15:50:25 PDT 2012

First, let me apologize to Jordan for that awful subject line. I inadvertently pasted that in to the subject line after pasting it into the post. Second, when driving in a city, I always watch for pedestrians and bicyles, traffic light changes, taxis, and the like while Karen drives. Two sets of eyes are helpful. If I hit a pedestrian, I'd certainly think I was responsible. I have been distracted and walked into traffic. I have been lucky that drivers were paying attention and didn't kill me. When I have lived in a city, I have always taken the view of "fuck the drivers." They always seemed to be the crazy, in a hurry, rude, and righteous ones. Of course, in Miami Beachand other places I have lived, you can say that but you had better look both ways. Drivers there are all potential killers. Either maniacs or way too old to drive. Third, some good discussion has occurred in this thread. But not enough has been said about out of control cops, money as a motivator of arrests, false charges, innacurate breathalyzers, etc. Plus the discrminatory enforcement and impact of all of this, by race, ethnicity, income.