[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money forlocaleconomies?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed May 9 16:14:03 PDT 2012

michael yates writes:

> not enough has been said about out of control cops, money
> as a motivator of arrests, false charges, innacurate
> breathalyzers, etc.

For me this comes down to: does this happen sometimes? Of course. But is it likely to actually be a concerted effort to raise money? If it is, it's dismally inefficient at it. In most cases, police and the court system are a serious drain on everyone's budget (not to mention GDP). So unless you can find a police department or a court that pays for itself -- or even pays for a significant amount of the total -- I'd say this is in the realm of Welfare Queens: yes, some people can cheat/abuse the system, but no one "wins" at it ...

/jordan