[lbo-talk] cars

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 07:27:14 PDT 2012

Dennis: "Since when are cars just a u.s. thing?"

[WS:] Perhaps I should have been more clear. They are not "just a US thing" - obviously - but they define the US way of life far more than they do it elsewhere. I mean, suburban sprawl with all its negative consequences, the ugliness of the urban landscape dominated by parking lots and garages, neighborhoods separated and strangled by highways, nauseating roadkill along interstate highways, lone commutes, road rage, the mesmerizing idiocy of NASCAR racing, and so on. It is not the car itself, as a machine, but the car as a way of life that I am complaining about.

-- Wojtek

"Modern conservatism is just a neoliberal gloss on medieval domination."