[lbo-talk] vox populi: standardize testing

Alan P. Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sun May 20 21:14:20 PDT 2012

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
> what's a wander or loser?
>
> I'm not sure how we got on this topic, but is there a concern among the
> public that teacher's don't have enough knowledge to teach their subject
> matter? E.g, are there social studies teachers or english teachers who are
> found lacking enough knowledge to teach?
>
> At 09:19 PM 5/19/2012, Alan P. Rudy wrote:
>
> I'll repeat, none of the general superficiality of my teachers' knowledge
> impinged on my schooling - except for when they were wanders or losers as well.

Damn autocorrect, I typed wanker, it corrected it to wander. And the way we got onto it was, though she's backed off it now, Joanna said that schools'd be better if teachers knew their stuff better. There are many folks running around this country saying - loudly and to attentive ears - that teachers don't know their subjects any where near well enough and that standards for people to become teachers must be raised. I was disagreeing with Joanna. I was saying that despite knowing their subjects to a pretty shallow extent, most teachers I had did a more than sufficient job of teaching me what they were assigned to teach and that the problems with schooling (and, yes, I know the problems with the work problems) are wider social problems not problems with teachers. But now Michael Yates has taken what I was specifically saying about Joanna's specific statement as if it were ringing endorsement of public education in every place at all times...