[lbo-talk] vox populi: standardize testing

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon May 21 03:57:27 PDT 2012

thanks for the recap.

I think you've overreacted, though. Michael said he agreed with you wholeheartedly in his first sentence.

I, personally, don't grok the torture thing - wasn't my experience nor, as far as I know, my son's who went to a "inner city" school where the first day of school freshman had their head's dunked in toilets and there were no doors on bathrooms to control students, etc. The next year he was recruited to play bball at the richest public school in the county, and went to school at a place with flatscreen televisions hanging in hallways.

Not to say it doesn't happen, I just wasn't clear on whether the torture thing is part of the institutional (normative) structure of schooling and if there's a literature on this. I'm more familiar with the literature on social life in school/uses of school to segregate people along lines of intra-class warfare, etc.