[lbo-talk] Fitch memorial

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:18:34 PDT 2012

PS. Your piece reminds me, strangely, of the Lars von Trier's film "Melancholia" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melancholia_(2011_film) that I've recently seen. That is to say, I've seen many films *showing* what depression does to other people, but von Trier's film actually *makes one feel* what it does. Something similar can be said about your piece - it does not just tell how much the US political system sucks - it makes one feel it when one realizes that the only bright spots that appear on the horizon are not the lights at the end of the tunnel but the lights of the oncoming locomotive. Pick your poison. In a way, your friend Fitch reminds me of Melancholia's protagonist Justine who having rebuffed foolish hopes of others builds a "magic cave" out of sticks when the end approaches.

-- Wojtek